Happy New Year! The start of 2014 is the perfect time to re-assess one’s goals, evaluate what worked well in 2013, and figure out what happens next. Throw in a polar vortex, which is socking most of the U.S. in a deep freeze that hasn’t been seen in two decades, and there’s even more opportunity to stay at home and roll up our sleeves.
2013 was the year I threw my hat in the indie publishing ring, with the publication of my first two mysteries in the Concordia Wells series: Dangerous and Unseemly and Unseemly Pursuits.
But there’s still more work to be done – can’t leave Concordia pining for her next adventure! So I’ve decided to start the year by participating in the ROW80 challenge. For those of you who haven’t heard of it, ROW80 stands for “A Round of Words in 80 Days.” It’s made up of fellow writers who support and cheer each other on over an 80-day period, as we post our progress on our measurable goals each week.
So let’s get to it!
My goals over the next 80 days:
- Promote my new book, Unseemly Pursuits, through two means: 1) a blog tour of guest postings on other websites, and 2) requesting book reviews
- Revise my first draft of Unseemly Secrets.
I haven’t looked at it since finishing the draft in late October (too busy getting Unseemly Pursuits revised and published). However, I know I’ll be dealing with a hot mess once I dare to open the Scrivener file. We’re talking plot holes big enough to drive a truck through, people.
- Get more involved socially on the internet and better connect with the online community. This will involve several steps: 1) breathing life into my dormant blog, which had been languishing from neglect until a couple of months ago; 2) visiting more websites each week, commenting, and tweeting the links; and 3) posting more regularly on Social In, an e-zine that’s published in three dozen cities. I’m going to start with once a month, with a short-term goal of bi-weekly and a long-term goal of weekly.
**I have some personal goals in addition to the professional ones – you know, eating healthier (cookies are my weakness) and exercising, but I’ll just report on the writing-related ones. 😉
Okay, let’s make all of this more quantifiable!
1. Post twice per week on my blog: a ROW80 check-in on Sundays (I only intend to check-in once per week, although I know other ROW-ers do Sundays AND Wednesdays), and an original post mid-week. During my blog tour, my total weekly count will actually be three times per week, as I’m scheduled to guest post twice a week through the beginning of March.
2. Send out five new email requests per week to book reviewers who have indicated they are available and interested in reviewing books in my genre (mystery). I don’t want to spam anybody! And if you all have suggestions about reviewers to contact, I’d sure appreciate it!
3. Visit, comment on, and tweet posts from ten bloggers each week.
4. Write and publish three SocialIn posts during this 80-day period.
5. Exclusively dedicate four hours each weekday (probably in 2-hour increments) to writing the second draft of Unseemly Secrets. No Facebook, email, or TweetDeck tabs open! Be strong, Kathy. 😉
That should do it…wish me luck!
What are your goals for 2014? What changes will you be making in your routine to make them happen? I’d love to hear from you.
Until next time,