Hurray, September 29th is National Coffee Day! I’d say the beverage was worthy of some recognition, don’t you?
Fun facts about coffee:
- Coffee is said to have been first used by Sufi monasteries in Yemen in the 15th century
- Americans drink an average of 30 oz of coffee per day
- $40 billion (yep, that’s a “b”) is spent on coffee in the United States each year
- According to a study by the American Chemical Society, coffee is America’s number one dietary source of antioxidants (tea is #2).
- Coffee consumption has been found to offer protection against Parkinson’s disease, diabetes, liver cirrhosis, and colon cancer.
- An NIH study found that people who drank four or more cups of coffee a day were less likely to suffer depression.
- A Harvard University study found that drinking two to four cups of coffee reduced the risk of suicide by 50%. Something to do with aiding in the production of neurotransmitters that balance mood.
Ready to grab a cup of java? Me, too!
Want more coffee?
Harvard University – School of Public Health
Astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti drinks coffee in space, dressed as Captain Janeway
Are you a coffee drinker? If so, how do you prefer your beverage? I’d love to hear from you.
Until next time,
Soon to be released, October 2015:
Unseemly Haste: Book 4 of the Concordia Wells Mysteries
As promised last week, here’s the cover:
Isn’t it cool? Melinda VanLone at BookCoverCorner.com does wonderful work. Obviously, a train is involved, but y’all knew that would be the case at the end of book #3. I’ll post the blurb and specific release date next week, as those are still in the works. 😉
12 thoughts on “It’s National Coffee Day!”
Somebody is drinking my 30 ozs, because Diet Dr Pepper is my caffeine of choice.
Sounds like a fab choice to me, Jane! That’s my mom’s favorite, too. If someone is drinking your share, they must be looking like Roadrunner right now. *wink*
Awww, thanks Kathy! I’m so glad you like it. And I’m clearly not drinking enough coffee. 1 cup a day…maybe I should up my intake 😀
LOL, you certainly write in enough coffee shops to have the opportunity! And it’s good for you, too.
Once I finish the blurb, I’ll be getting with you about the back cover. 😉
Fab cover, Kathy! What a talented pair — you and Melinda. Many cheers for those java perks! 🙂
Thanks so much, August! I’ll take all the perks I can get.
Personally, I regard coffee as a major food group. Seriously, it is wisest not to speak to me in complete sentences, and those only for emergency, before I’ve had some coffee.
Good to know if I ever get to meet you, Margot! LOL.
Well I can vouch for sure that only less than .00001 percent of those billions is spent on coffee in Vicksburg. There’s one coffee shop that has one variety of coffee. Not a Starbucks for miles.
Not that I mind, I despise coffee, but I do love a good cup of tea and Starbuck’s iced green tea is my absolute fav!
Thanks for the fun facts. Go Concordia!
w/a Jansen Schmidt
Good thing you’re a tea drinker, Patricia! Glad you’re settling in. 🙂
Congratulations on the new book and gorgeous cover Kathy and Melinda! Yes, I am late for the coffee party. But I can’t imagine what we’d do without coffee. Let alone caffeine. Me? I used to drink coffee every morning. I couldn’t move until after I had my first cup. But now I’m into green tea. I know, sounds boring. I do treat myself to coffee every once in a while. For some unknown reason, I don’t crave it like I used to. Anyway, I raise my cup to you girl and wish you all the best with your new release! ((Hugs)) 🙂
Thanks, Karen! I really appreciate it!
Comments are closed