Welcome to September! Even though the fun of summer travel/vacation is behind us, there is a lot to love about this time of year. I wanted to share with you some of my favorite things about the fall.
Fave #1 – The kids go back to school. Don’t get me wrong – I love my kids, but even they were getting a little restless and were ready to go back.
As a “public service” for students who are out of practice from the long summer break, here are my favorite Why-I-didn’t-do-the-homework excuses. Feel free to use as many of them as you like; you don’t even need to give me credit (in fact, I’d rather you didn’t, LOL). Adapted from www.schooljokes.com:
- My pet gerbils had babies, and they had to be kept warm, so I sprung into action and used my essay to make a nest. Yeah, I’m unselfish that way.
- I was walking to school this morning, minding my own business, when aliens swooped down and read my paper on Thomas Jefferson – the one I was going to turn in today. They thought it was so brilliant that they borrowed it so they could study how the human brain worked. They promised to bring it back. But that could be a while.
- I didn’t want the other kids in the class to look bad, so I didn’t do my homework. You could say I took one for the team. But I did do it “in my mind,” so I still got the benefit.
- I was arguing with a kid who said you weren’t the best teacher in school, and he got mad at me and stole it.
- You already have a heavy workload – for which you are seriously underpaid, may I say – and I didn’t want to add to your burden.
Fave #2 – Football (and my first season of…Fantasy Football):
Fave #3 – Autumn leaf-peeping: Mother Nature puts on her best party dress and goes out in grand style.
Fave #4 – Pumpkins! There’s just something about pumpkins – their flavor, the assortment of shapes, sizes, and colors, their craft potential – that embodies the essence of fall fun.
Speaking of pumpkins, I’d like to leave you with a favorite recipe of ours, and we’ll definitely be making it again this fall. The little guy in the above pic especially loves this, except he’s not so little anymore. They grow up so fast. *sigh*
Pumpkin Fudge (makes 3 lbs)
Prep: 20 min
Cook: 20 min
Stand: 2 hours
3 cups sugar
¾ cup butter
5-oz can evaporated milk
½ cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground cloves
10-oz pkg butterscotch flavor pieces
7-oz jar marshmallow crème
1 tsp vanilla
Optional: ½ cup toasted chopped pecans
1. Line a 13x9x2 baking pan w/foil, extending over edges of pan. Butter foil; set aside.
2. In a heavy 2-qt saucepan combine sugar, butter, evaporated milk, pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture boils. Clip candy thermometer to side of saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low; continue to boil at a moderate, steady rate, stirring constantly, until thermometer registers 234 deg. F or mixture reaches soft-ball stage (20-25 min).
3. Remove pan from heat. Stir in butterscotch pieces until melted. Stir in marshmallow crème and vanilla until well combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with pecans, if desired. Score into 1-inch pieces while warm. When fudge is firm, use foil to lift it out of pan. Cut fudge into pieces. Store in fridge up to 1 week.
Hope you can give the recipe a try sometime!
What are your favorite things about September, or autumn in general? I’d love to hear from you!
Until next time,